When it comes to being on a gluten free diet, It's really hard to get the correct answers, it can be rather complicated and confusing.
I was doing research on how to make beef enchiladas and I already got the enchilada sauce pre-made because I wanted to be lazy. I searched the product online to see if it was gluten free or not. I was looking all over for the products description. And All I got was ingredients like it says on the can. An everyone on gluten free and Celiac forums were saying it isn't even though it doesn't say wheat on the actual label in my hand. So I was about to just say well shit, *put the can down* I guess I'll make my own enchilada sauce. The canned stuff wasn't good anyway.
I tried to go through the company's website. And the only evidence of anything which kinda gave me a guess that maybe the sauce possibly changed was where people left comments on how they were sad of the product change and that the sauce was pretty much red water. (Clue: No thickener.. No Gluten)
Then I thought, Okay, one more way to try it, call the little 1800 number on the can and ask. I tried to call for another product before and I ended up with a machine telling me I had the wrong number code. So I wasn't expecting an immediate response. The lady who answered was really nice, and she looked up my ISBN (bar code) and said that it was a gluten free sauce and if they did make any products that had any allergy sensitive foods that it would for sure be appropriately labeled.
So I don't really have to make enchilada sauce, I can still be lazy. Now if the sauce is good, that is the question that I will find out.
So rule to anyone with any form of allergy, if you have any slight doubt, there's a chance that someone might be on the other end of the service number. Products change too fast to always be right.
Old El Paso Mild Enchilada is safe. But double check your store doesn't have the older product. If it says wheat gluten its the older product. Mine has corn gluten in it.
Update: I made beef and cheese enchiladas, no problems. So Old El Paso is my friend.
I'll add the link to the recipe and you-tube video on how to roll corn tortillas shortly.
No comments:
Post a Comment